Copy-Paste Text from MS Office Apps not working when using Firefox

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:54 AM

When I copy-paste (or drag) text from any office application (Word, Excel, even outlook emails) to the HTML Editor, it doesnt seem to read the contents when I convert it to HTML. It works fine when i simply type-in or copy-paste from other apps like notepad or wordpad. It behaves as such when I use Firefox, but with IE it works fine. Anyone know why this is so? Or if there is something I need to do. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2009 at 1:11 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM
The Basic Edition does not include any special functionality to handle paste, including paste from Word, etc. Therefore the designMode implementation of the browser manufacturer handles the paste as it sees fit. Beyond that the editor then constrains the tags and attributes to those allowed, and converts deprecated syntax (which is browser specific functionality), if OutputXHTML is on (the default). 

To understand more about the editor's constraint of the tags and attributes see the following FAQ:

Suggestions:

- To learn more about the paste issue turn the property OutputXHTML off (default is on). This will disable the constraining and conversion routines and show exactly how the browser natively handles the paste into a designMode environment. Then do various paste exercises with different browsers and documents to witness the results.
- To see the html that will be posted back, simply switch to Html mode after the paste. Then switch back to Design mode to see how the converted Html would be displayed, after constraining tags and attributes, and after converting any deprecated syntax (if OutputXHTML is on).

To view the feature comparison chart, see:
Thanks.